Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Family Descends on Lamlin Cottage

The menagerie decided to take that long-discussed family holiday at the cottage in Ooty...so come one breezy weekend in July, we bundled into the car and drove up into the blue hills.

While most roadtrips are a pleasure, for me (when driving in comfort with the A/C going!), the trips up to Ooty go a few dollops beyond....I love the way you can see the road snaking across the plains and winding up into the hills, I love the way the foliage changes and the temperature drops as we go higher. I especially love the smell of the Eucalyptus and the conifers, and I love the silence that suddenly blankets you.

You just cannot beat the way the oh-so-important things from your life back at the city slowly, but surely, get stripped away and evaporate. No worries, no intrusive phone calls, no emails, no meetings, and MOST importantly, no deadlines. Life marches to a different drummer up here in the hills, and only thing knocking at your door is likely to be a woodpecker!

Coming back to our menagerie, we spent the weekend lounging around the cottage, drinking tea while watching the sunset (technicolor, widescreen!!), and listening to the sounds of silence. And my brother spent most of that time shivering...the boy is hopeless in the cold!!

Am taking a page (post?) out of Vee's and Dent's blogs and bunging in a collage here of the pics I took...my favorites are the ones I call 'Big Red Hiding Hood', 'Cawwots!' and 'The House Keeper'....see if you can't pick them out!


For me, Ooty is where I go to recharge ; I can't wait for an excuse to head for the cottage...paper work with the bank, meeting with the lawyer, problems with the plumbing...anything that gets me out of the city and up, up and away!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you get the contact of the lamlin cotage ooty my id is shyjai@yahoo.com

Sam said...

Hello,

Your post on the Lamlin cottage in Ooty is the only thing that comes close to a review on the cottage on the whole of internet. Could you please let me know how your stay was? I and couple of friends are planning to go there april end this year, so I would be really grateful if you could tell me the pros and cons of this place as we intend to stay there.

Thanks,
Sampath
Bangalore

Sam said...

You can email me at i.dsampath@gmail.com too.

Thanks again.