Thursday, June 23, 2005

Cooking...Crab-style

All women can cook. And cook well.

At least, that is what most people take for granted here, this being a country of major stereotypes and gender typecasting. That's not to say that women in India have not progressed out of the kitchen and into the workplace, and have not made a mark in the world and build a space for themselves in a society dominated by the male psyche.

That's not it at all.

What it is, is that this crab never really progressed from the workplace into the kitchen. And cannot cook. Not well at all.

My forays into the kitchen (usually on account of ill-fated enthusiasm) have ended in feasts of:
  1. Aloo a la Crème (Potato paste with garnish)
  2. Carrot Morukolumbu (Sweet carrot chunks in gravy of yoghurt and coconut milk, tempered with dried red chillies)
  3. Khichda (Spicy Steamed Rice and Lentil paste - one portion feeds family of ten)
  4. Pasta Indienne (Fettuccine dressed in white sauce, made of milk and Maggi-style masala tastemaker)

And yet, am preparing for yet-another charge of the light brigade when I dish up dinner for 8 this weekend. Methinks Peas Pulao, Mutton Curry and Kashmiri Dum Aloo. And maybe, keeping the general good of mankind in mind, I just may use actual recipes. From actual cook books, this time

Ah, the tenacious spirit of the Crab...May I marry a man who can cook. And cook well.

9 comments:

Denish said...

I beg to Differ! This crab is a mean cook, and I have a history of the waistline increase in Mysore to prove it!

Taz Snow said...

Awwww.....thanks for the vote of confidence Dents! *HUGS*

Sad but true, my talents at cooking seem to have vaporized these days :o(

Vidya said...

I too beg to differ, Dents..
Hemu was a way better cook :P Golly just pottered around :D

Denish said...

tazme-amma
I hope you went "flat" out during the house moving
Pics please! Is it anywhere near where the original Crowded House used to be?

Taz Snow said...

Dear Military-cut Mosaranna,

I dunno about going flat out, but I sure as heck WAS flat out at the end of it all...I think I slept through 2 whole days or something like that! :o)

Pics will happen when Mom figures out how to get 'em off the camera and onto the comp. Its between her and it!

And no, this is nowhere near the original Crowded House...it almost 200km away. In Bangalore. :o)

Taz Snow said...

BTW, Dents...your faith in my cooking be vindicated! I make a mean mutton curry, peas pulao and caramel custard.

The Dum aloo kashmiri, on the other hand, was just plain mean...and hot. I kinda figure I should use kashmiri mirch when the recipe specfically says to! :oD

End result of the aloo- Attack of the Tikhalal!

Denish said...

I see... Fairmont in Bangalore... I was a bit-o confused because one of your Flickr fo-twos has a caption "Dad in Yadavgiri flat circa 2005"... "Its all clear now"

Anonymous said...

Is the Taz alive?

Denish said...

aiyyoo rama... Waat is to be haapning to the Snow Queen? Yai I wanting to be heering her voice, Wai say wonly... not wonly von my blog but von herrs wolso