Saturday, August 26, 2006

Secure that Lipstick!

Security concerns notwithstanding, separating a woman from her lipstick and migraine medicine is an open invitation for trouble!

Just when you think you have understood all the security norms, and have packed away all potentially hazardous material, something new comes up (BTW, I am curious to see how you terrorize an airplane with a tube of toothpaste or lipstick…threaten to brush your teeth mid-aisle, or smear lipstick on the pilot’s collar?!) …

Madam, you have something in your hand baggage” said the wise old man on the security mountain.

I smiled at him, sagely, and shook my head “No, I have packed away all liquids / gels / creams / sharp objects in my suitcase

No” he insisted “there is something in your bag…please check it again

What the…?!

I dug through the bag, holding up everything in it for his scrutiny.

No, not that…not that…no…no…all that is ok…keep checking” he intoned.

I kept digging…papers, books, pens, visiting cards, keys, laptop (minus charger), mobile phone (also minus charger!), and tissues…what else was there?! I had even shifted my lipstick tube to my suitcase at the suggestion of the lady at the check-in counter (although the chappies at Bangalore let me bring it!)

There is nothing else in the bag…only my tablets” I showed him the little case with my migraine medicine and emergency Digene.

Him bristling “Not allowed!”

Me incredulous “What?! I brought this with me through Bangalore security!”

That was Bangalore…here it is different. Do you have a prescription with you?

Now, when was the last time YOU carried a prescription for Digene!?

Me subdued “No

Then please pack it away” To his credit, he did not smirk at his little victory.

**Sigh**
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just so this is clear, I have no issues with the whole concept of heightened security, or the associated restrictions. I understand the reasons and agree that the public should cooperate, in our own interest. My grievance is with the inconsistency of security norms...make up your collective, official, minds people!

2 comments:

Vidya said...

you still are allowed cellphones, and a good-heavens, a handbag itself...

at least u dont have to check in everything save passport, currency and other premissible valuables.. and then carry those onboard in a see through bag...

friend here was aghast when her stock of milk powder, boiled water, diapers, wipes, nappy-rash cream was taken to be checked again.. and she had a 14 hour flight to the US.. imagine carrying all that in a see through bag

Anonymous said...

Apparently I'm supposed to leave comments on peoples' blogs to let them know they've been tagged. Details on my blog.