Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Lemmings?

Once upon a time, India was a secular democracy. Apparently that changed, due to popular demand, but some of us missed getting that memo. So pardon me if I stare at you blankly when you prod me in the ribs, snarling "Sing! Or Else!"...Sholayesque as that may be, I have no need to prove my patriotism any more than the next person:

"The HRD Minister's remarks that there will be no compulsion to sing 'Vande Mataram' is a sign of abject surrender to fundamentalists and anti-nationals who should rather have been told to leave India if they do not want to recite the national song," Malhotra told reporters here.

The BJP leader said the Prime Minister should intervene to ensure singing of the national song became compulsory in schools.

"
Also, those who are refusing to sing 'Vande Mataram' should be booked for treason," Malhotra remarked. (Who died and made you King?)

Once upon a time, thinking was the rule, not the exception...apparently that has also changed! "Err...I did not think about that" states the rather befuddled-looking MD of the newly opened Hitler's Cross café, on National Television, when pointed towards the fact that some people would find the connection offensive, hurtful even!:

"I will not change the name. We are not promoting Hitler. My decor or products don't promote Hitler. It's just for the sake of the name " owner Punit Sablok claims.(This, with a rather large portrait, of the mustachioed Fuhrer himself , dominating the background!)

Why do I get this nagging feeling that the migration of the lemmings is underway?

3 comments:

Denish said...

*poke* TAG

Anonymous said...

so much so that sometimes I feel that we Indians are becoming paranoid about losing our "Natoinality" or "Patriotism". Seriously, I doubt that some people are really talking out of patriotism or some complex or the other.

Taz Snow said...

Anwin: I could not agree more!