Monday, September 05, 2005

ATMs & Akkirotti

By day a simple, nondescript ATM, up the stairs and right next to the entrance to the Bank. But by night, a haven for the hungry. As the darkness falls and the stars twinkle on, the stairs to this ATM transforms into an alfresco dining experience, fronted by a trestle table and a portable hot-plate-style stove. And what does one dine on here? Rottis and dosas and idlis and omlettes. But the show stealer is the Rotti (no, I haven't mis-spelt 'roti'...I mean the famous down-south rotti...flattened-by-hand-masala-roti!)...in every form...akkirotti, raagirotti, jholadarotti...**drool drool**!

You come, you ask, you get served steaming hot rottis with a variety of chutneys, you munch, you swoon with delight. Then you get up and do it all over again...this is the true finger-licking-good experience.

And where this magical Akkirotti ATM be? Mission Road, before the flyover...smack in front of Canara Bank (or mebbe it's SBI...I have always been too busy eating to notice!), opposite Ad Labs or some such photo joint. Rottis on offer only in the evenings and the best times be from 7-9pm.

Don't just take my word for it...go and try it out for yourselves!

4 comments:

Vidya said...

thats what i miss most in singy.... down to earth 'kannada' specialities like akki rotti, jolada rotti.... sigh.... sucky place :P
have some for me too, Golly... and remember to dedicate each mouthful to me

Taz Snow said...

Thy wish is my next dinner

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I would like to copy-paste this post on my blog. With your permission of course and with due credits.

Vinaya

Taz Snow said...

Hey Vinaya, sure...go ahead! :o)